Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Laughing Dragon, illustrated by Kenneth Mahood

The Laughing Dragon The Laughing Dragon The Laughing Dragon The Laughing Dragon The Laughing Dragon The Laughing Dragon The Laughing Dragon The Laughing Dragon The Laughing Dragon The Laughing Dragon - written & illustrated by Kenneth Mahood (1970).

This tale is of the lovable yet infuriating sort. Like Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: where the misfit character is ostracized yet eventually is let back into the fold and returns without bearing a grudge.

I am not so generous in my forgiving.

You throw me out of your reindeer games? Fine - but don't expect me to come and save Christmas.

You leave me all alone on a rocky island in the middle of the ocean because I'm a dragon that breathes fire when I laugh? Fine. Don't expect me to come and use my fiery giggles to help you out of a snowy grave.

C'mon Rudolph and Hojo (the dragon) - have some self-respect! They ditched you! Leave them to their own devices!